Thursday, June 12, 2008

Apple iPhone now on 3G!

Its finally come, the long long LONG awaited news of the 3G version of the iPhone. Strange though, considering in Brunei, the original non-3G one didn't even make the "official" list. And here we have the 3G edition already. Go figure right.

Launched on contract in the US first (where else), it is pretty much an upgraded version of the iPhone we all love (or hate), except with slightly better specs. (We reviewed the iPhone when it first came out here).

Details/Specs:
  • Official launch on 11JUL08.
  • Estimated price of the 8Gb version is 499Euro and the 16Gb version at 569Euro. Not a bad pricing, quite similar to the prices we get locally here. Unless the money-hungry get greedy and charge exorbitant prices for being the first in Brunei to launch iPhone 3G.
  • Same 3.5" with 480 x 320 pixel display
  • Grown 1mm (!?) in width, height and thickness.
  • HSDPA support
  • Same 2mp camera as the original iPhone but (get this) NO secondary video camera (on a 3G phone?!)
  • According to the news release from GSMArena, on 11JUL08, "Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US - and availability will be further expanded to cover up to 70 countries worldwide before the end of the year". Well, I'm sure we'll see it here in Brunei somehow.
There you have it, a teaser on the coming 3G iPhone. I have a sneaking feeling there will be numerous sales on 2nd hand original iPhones soon.

For me, I'm still sticking to my aim of getting this baby, the E71. (E66 images just fyi)
Its been a while since I've found myself refreshing and refreshing websites on a daily basis trying to read about the official launch of it. I'm so going to run to Incomm to get one as soon as my sources tell me its here. I aim to be the first to own one!

But, its not in sight yet. So, back to waiting... and refreshing. In the meantime, this video here really wets my appetite!

12 comments:

Brunei Foodies said...

i'm looking forward for that E71 too! Currently I'm testing out the Nokia E78 & Sony Ericsson G900 :)

ZEZO said...

i love the iphone! looking forward to get it by the end of this year.. but im sorta love the E71 too.. damn it looks like crackberry, i mean blackberry.. hehe.. darn, wish i was richer,, haha

d3xlabs said...

hi Bulimic! so how are the models? nice? From what I've seen and messed with, the N78 may not be... great to use... some say the N82 is a better model... G900? how's that one?

Hi Zezo... yea closest thing to getting a crackberry. BEtter too! haha.

Brunei Foodies said...

The N78 (Incomm $738)has that weird keypad thingy going but it didn't take long to adapt to it. The jog-dial (ala iPod)is the same as the N81 which is very responsive and fun to use especially browsing through the Gallery. I swear though the 3.2mp camera is giving the N82's 5mp camera a run for its money, it is simply impressive! The N82 is cheaper by $60 or so (Incomm $678).

As for the SE G900, I think its the best Sony Ericsson model yet, the combination of touch-screen, WiFi and 5mp camera is sweet especially when its only $668 which I think is a better buy than a Nokia N95 (Incomm $958). The only annoying thing I find about the G900 is that its not HSDPA capable! Silly right?!

Anyway, will do a full review soon :)

Anonymous said...

@dex: i'm throwing down the gauntlet here. I will get the E71 before you. Up for a duel? :)

d3xlabs said...

hey rezanator! LOL ok we're on! Let the race begin! Hw u bn? What about your e90? I'm still on a e61i, temporarily of course. :)

Anonymous said...

@dex: Still loving my E90 ... nothing comes close to the joy of the large screen and keyboard, really. The initial reviews of the E71 even find its camera lacking, compared to the E90. I personally think the E90 actually takes better video than N95 or N82 - such a fantastic piece of kit. It's just the sheer size that prevents it being with me every waking minute of the day.

What about yours? Sold it, or taking a break from it?

d3xlabs said...

hi Rezanator, ive sold my E90 a while ago. Someone wanted my hard-to-find red edition. So, being the kind generous soul I am, I let it go. LOL. I did go back to the E90 once after that, but like u said, the sheer size does take some getting used to. I agree with u though, it is a fantastic piece of kit. Still the king of Nokias, IMHO.

Anonymous said...

the camera reviews i was talking about (allaboutsymbian.com and my-symbian.com) don;t really matter that much to me- i have a feeling the retail units may just have improved photo and video capturing software, whereas the reviews were done on pre-release units. The only real difference between the e71 and e90 will be the keyboard and screen size. Trade off the e90 keyboard for the e71's single-handed useable keyboard? Maybe....just maybe...

but the e90 internal screen? Heh. That is a tough one...

Anonymous said...

The Iphone is just glamorous crap.
But my experience with Nokia and Blackberry is that they aren't enough professional for me.
I bought a Palm Centro and I'm happy with it. A sturdy eclectic smartphone.

d3xlabs said...

Hi anonymous, i agree, the iPhone is a bit overrated. Sure its a great media phone, but business wise, its not altogether there yet. I've used the Centro recently. LOVED it tremendously. Except, it wasn't 3G. Can't hv everything huh?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.