Sunday, September 17, 2006

Phone support

The new toy... As the days SLOWLY pass by, I get more anxious waiting for it. SO typical isn't it? When you want something badly, time suddenly slows down....

The wait continues....

Today's been interesting. Usual Saturday routine, woke up later (than usual), quick brunch with the family, lunch with a mate, then did a bit of zooming around as a "mobile phone support" and gym afterwards. What a weekend.

Mobile phone support, like tech support. Minus the charges... =p

Three cases today.

First, a Palm Treo 650 for sale. 2nd hand Treo 650's now are like hidden treasures. You better believe it.

Quick lesson in local 650 history: 650's were not very popular during the first launch here in early 2005. Only the tech freaks bought them. As the months went by, with people beginning to hear about the power of the legendary palm OS and what it could handle, (especially the one with one of its the killer apps, a program allowing MSN chats through GPRS!) Then suddenly, EVERYONE wanted one. Ladies included.

And so, this is probably the 4th 650 that's come thru my hands to help sell off now. I guaranteed my friend that it would be an easy sale. All it takes is time. (Note: I already found a buyer last night. Very keen, pending the sighting of the unit on Monday) So, went to pick it up from my friend's place this afternoon. (A service I don't mind doing, depending on geographical positioning of the sets)

Secondly, a Silver Nokia 6230. Gotta be at least a year and a half old. Didn't look like it though. Was near perfect. Lady owner. Protected by one of those cutesy lil'bag-pouches that are (now) impt accessories for ladies, and oddly, some guys too!
Tested out the set for a few days, a practice I try to uphold where possible, JUST to make sure I don't sell to people faulty and crappy phones.

(Reputation, reputation)

It works perfectly. And true enough, as expected, a few days ago, a friend called up looking for a cheap phone, and best of all, this exact model too! So, delivered it to him today. Thats another happy seller+buyer. Hey, they're happy, I'm happy right?

The last case was a family related request. Couple of days back, found an aunt a 2nd hand Nokia 6131, a model she had been eyeing for a while. This case, I KNEW I would be doing some sort of support at least. Coming from a Nokia 6510 which she had been using for like, centuries... Her main problem, "How do I transfer all my contacts from the old phone to the new one?". So off to her place I went after dropping off the Nokia 6230, thinking to myself in the car, ok the extreme case is that if she has more than 250 contacts (which is the limit what our local sim cards can fit), then I'll just save into the sim a couple of times and move across to new phone. Easy! (I usually recommend using one of nokias DKU USB cables or sthg to sync across any data, but Nokia 6510's didn't support that tech back then. So it had to be manual.)
Arrived and got cracking right away. 35% used of phone memory "That's it?!" I said to her. This was easier than I thought! So, moved all 225 numbers into her blank sim card and copied across. Easy! 5 minute job. ANOTHER happy buyer.

And with that, off to the gym I went....

Little did I know, a couple hours later, another request was coming. A tough one this time. A friend's looked me up. He wants a Sony Ericsson w810i. i told him that's a tough one. No one who owns one lets go of their w810i at this time. Best bet is to buy new... I told him.

BUT, who knows, I promised I'd try.

So, with a new challenge, a new request. The search begins again....

1 comment:

Chester said...

Haha what adventures you have with phones. Cool cool.

By the way, I just got me a Nokia 6234. Phones restricted though. Gonna ask Vinnie about it and see what can be done to unlock it before I come home.