Sunday, March 11, 2007

Cellphones in Cinemas

In today's paper, the SUNDAY bulletin, there was an article which caught my eye, titled "Cellphones won't work in this theatre". You can read about it here.

What its basically about, is what this theatre in Russia did when they became so fed-up with patrons ignoring their requests to switch off their cellphones during performances, that they bought a device that completely JAMS all signals in the theatre.

In this article, the last straw came when, during a live show, just at the moment when the whole night was coming to its climax... someone's phone rang, and totally ruined the atmosphere. One of the actors even shouted out to the person to turn off the cellphone!

Ok, I know Brunei doesn't have any theatres with musicals or where live actors and actresses get to perform, but the principle is the same. Cellphones in cinemas don't mix!
Can't the average movie goes bloody READ the warnings shown before the movie begins? Are they so uncivilised? Can't they just switch it off or even to "silent" mode? Do they need someone to do it for them??

In my opinion, ALL cinemas in Brunei should invest in such a similar device to jam all signals in the whole cinema. That would really make movie-going a MUCH more enjoyable experience for everyone. I'm sure everyone agrees right?

*Unless, of course, you're one of the usual suspects that commit this act of stupidity, then you better hope we don't meet in the cinemas*
If you are, you better "watch your back"

2 comments:

Name said...

What's the point of picking up the phone to say "I'll call you later" - I've never seen the point in that

d3xlabs said...

I truly agree. Though I haven't yet met anyone who has done that in front of me. Maybe you have quirky friends Blackdiamonds. LOL