Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I don't want an iPhone

Hello world...

Yes, I've been rather silent lately. Work and family commitments mostly, plus, the mobile world's been pretty unexciting too, sadly.

That is, until the official arrival of the APPLE iPHONE.


Lots of friends have asked me why I haven't done a write up on this new Apple release (that promises to take over the world). *oh brother*

Well, two reasons really why I haven't jumped onto the bandwagon like so many other bloggers, writing about the iPhone and the million-and-one reasons why they want it (now).
  1. Firstly, I wanted to spend some time reading up about reviews, forums and feedback from the "rest of the world" first. Sure it looks great and oh-so-tantalising when you read about the specs and oogle over the sheer look of the iPhone.... with its patented Multitouch recognition capabilities (if you don't know what I mean, it means you haven't really read up (much) on the iPhone), its slimness, its OSX software (Sthg to watch out for symbians, WMs and Palm) and the fact that its basically an iPod built into a phone! (Incidentally, treonauts has done a great, albeit maybe biased, review on the treo vs iPhone, here.) So far, from what I've read, its caused a buzz worldwide for sure. Its like EVERYONE is waiting for it. (Not that its out yet. US release - June07, Asia - 2008). Even Treo critics have used it as a bullet to slam Palm on what-they-should-have-done.
  2. Secondly, I'm definitely not one to rave about a mobile which I've not seen, or touched, in person yet. It would be like fantasizing about a Ferrari, and telling the whole world why its the best car in the world, and yet, thats just based on looks and what you hear/read about it without actually owning one. How pathetic. So, with the iPhone, that's my take on it. I don't want one.
But, at the end of the day, what do I think about it? Sure it looks great and all, but this 1st generation iPhone may not be the treo-killer some people are raving about. (It would beat the Music-edition Nokias or the Walkman-Sony Ericssons for sure though). Give it another few upgrades and tweaks (look at the 1st gen iPod compared to the now-5th gen iPod, and you'll understand what I mean), THEN it will be a force to reckon with. And, knowing Apple's strategies and marketing campaigns, its gonna be huge.

But, till then, I'm sticking to my trusty ol'treo 680. Time to show the world how dedicated I can be. Hey, what matters is how I finish right? Not just how I started.

2 comments:

Chester said...

It looks cool... but I watched a video that says it won't make a big splash in Asia, especially not in places like Japan, where phones do so much more.

At the end of the day, Asians wanna know-- how great does it sms?

Anonymous said...

Dude,

I don't know how to say this without sounding like an Apple Fan boy, so I'm gonna say it like one.

I just want one. Jobs can do no wrong. :D