Friday, January 26, 2007

Fact or Fiction - Nokia E61i

While surfing through the my usual daily site feeds to sift through what new mobile morsels are out (or will be out), I couldn't believe what I saw. Rumours of a new and improved Nokia E61i!


Although its just a rumour (and unconfirmed by Nokia), numerous sites have already reported the likelihood of its release by Nokia sometime this quarter.

Exciting.

If this picture is anything to go by, the most (noticable) upgrades would be: -
  • The addition of a camera!
  • Redesigned shortcut buttons layout
  • New metallic look and feel
Some sites also report that there will be an addition of a microSD slot as well as the existing E61's wifi/3G/GPRS/EDGE capabilities. In other words, the E61's just got better! Or rather, potentially, its become the phone it was SUPPOSED to be in the first place!

Now, I know I've been gasbagging and dragging the name of Nokia through the dirt recently (due to my frustrations with their new-yet-not-so-new releases and same-innies-redesigned-outties strategy *grumble, grumble*), but I have always thought quite highly of their latest smartphone, the Nokia E61. Arguably, the best business Nokia phone around. It does everything you would want it to, and more. Its only downfall was its lack of camera and touchscreen.

But, if you're an existing E61 owner, I wouldn't start looking for buyers yet though. E61i's just a rumour at the moment, and even then, who knows whether it'll be up to scratch. But then, knowing Nokia's habits of throwing an "i" into some of their models, it should prove to be a contender, aside from pissing the heck out of all existing non-"i" owners. (On that note, I HAVE to add, E-series.org is a must-visit site if you're an E61 owner)

Meanwhile, let's just sit back for another month or so and ponder whether this E61i is a Fact... or Fiction.

4 comments:

Chel said...

Showed your entry to Clyde.. Haven't seen him that happy over a "toy" in ages! So what do you think? a 680 or E61i's best for him??

d3xlabs said...

If touchscreen isn't an issue, and he's happy with Symbian, then the (rumoured) e61i might just be the one dream phone.

Personally, I think a touchscreen opens up more capabilities on a smartphone, rather than navigating with a "joystick" or navi-pad (like the "supposed" e61i has).

So, from a user of an e61 before, to my treo now, of course I'd vouch for the treo. Yea, you could say I'm biased. ^_^

Anonymous said...

wat? another calculator...

Chel said...

It's not a calculator!! Now how is it a calculator? I actually like the e61 surprisingly.. Except that it's just symbian and the buttons are a little too "hard" for me "delicate" fingers! hehehe...