Friday, October 06, 2006

Tick, tock, tick, tock.....

I was just casually going through my regular sites to see whether there were any updates on latest phones out etc, and I came across the Palm Singapore site. Officially announcing, the new Palm Treo 750v.

Its finally arrived in Asia. Retailing at SGD1,268. (More details here) Its impressive. But what MOST impresses me is the removal of the antenna! I doubt I'd ever get this, being a windows OS, which I have to admit, I'm not a fan of. The screen resolution alone isn't much to shout about. C'mon, 240 x 240 and 65,000 colours? Treo 650 has 320 x 320 with the oh-so-gorgeous TFT screen. Windows devices, in this regard then, are just pathetic. (I bet I am striking a hornets nest of debates with that statement. Who cares. Palm OS still rocks)

Ok, why am I shouting about this new Treo then? Because this is perhaps the first ever official "leak" of the long awaited new form-factor of the PALM OS version Treo (some sites report it being called Treo 680), which is what alot of people are waiting for. We just HOPE that the specs will be something to shout about though. The Treo 650 has been around for quite a long time (2yrs?), so this new Treo better be worth it. It is rumoured to be out in Dec06 (the earliest), so all I/we can do, is wait. (And this wait alone is killing me)

Anyways, today, at work, I bumped into a colleague who was using the Nokia 7710. Being the phone freak I have become, of course I kindly asked if it was ok to have a feel of it. (I only know of 2 other friends who actually USE this model) Lets just say I wasn't impressed. Took me a good minute or so to figure out how to "unlock" the keypad. And those who use Nokias KNOW how EASY it is to Lock/Unlock keypads. Once I figured that out, I then tried messing with the menus. (Hey, its Symbian, how hard can it be?) I couldn't, if my life depended on it, figure how in the world to navigate around! Needless to say, I gave up after a couple of minutes. I did ask my colleague whether he liked it. He answered that he's not really a phone person, the Nokia 7710 was a hand-me-down from his wife. Well, there went my oppotunity of asking him how it worked. Well, this is one Nokia PDA I KNOW I will NEVER own. The E61, in my opinion, still represents Nokia's best attempt.

Anyway... enough about smartphones, before I start itching again. C'mon TREO 680! Although, reading this blog on Treonauts is making me excited!

No comments: