Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Take aim

A buddy of mine commented today, "hey, 3weeks with your 8800". Wow, time sure has flown by. I didn't even realise it. Gosh... work must have been busy... keeping my mind off stuff. But really, once you have the premium, "everything else is just a toy" isn't it?

And back to the fantastic clunking of my precious I go....

Just today, I had a request to recommend a phone to a friend... She's getting rid of her N80, and now wants a cheaper-but-reasonably-functionable Nokia to replace it. I won't mention what I advised for her (mainly because there are so many out there within her budget anyway). But I do understand why she made that decision though. If one is basically a simple Category 2 user, then all these frills and fancy smancy features you might have in phones like N80, SE p990i, Treos etc... would just be an overkill. I am even willing to go to the extent of saying its likely that at least 80% of users out there don't use even half of the killer features in their phones. What a pity.

Like if you have a camera phone, sure you'd snap away like a tourist in the first few weeks, but after that, it's just "nice to have". Or you might have the earphones plugged in listening to your mp3's, but after a while, it'd surely become cumbersome to bring those pesky earphone wires out and you'd probably end up not even bothering about the mp3 player on your phone.

However, its always also rare to see people actually using their phones to their FULL potentials. 2 examples come to mind.

This afternoon, I saw a guy all decked out in a business suit actually pulling a Nokia e61 out of his pocket.... there was just sthg about that image that cries out to me, he's a business user. No nonsense, no playing. (Hey, what nut buys an e61 just to make calls and sms's anyway!) Having used one before, I must admit, it is an awesome business phone indeed. Business people don't need camera phones anyway. And for what?? Take photos of their meetings and bosses? Take self portraits to send to friends? Geez...

Another example. One of my good mates who owns a palm treo 650. We both purchased one about the same time, almost 2yrs ago. Obviously, being the phone pimp I am, I had long turned my back on it and moved on to (many) other phones, but my mate has faithfully stuck on to his treo 650. No other person I know has messed with all the softwares, tried all the flash patches, (not to mention dropped it countless times...) and his latest experiment, take it apart to "respray" its casing. (Now it looks totally unique I must admit). Now if anyone ever deserves more respect for reaching their phone's capacity, its him and on that note too, if anyone ever deserves to change his phone (by now) its him too!

Now THAT's truly something to aim for.

No comments: