Friday, September 15, 2006

The Past

Well I'll be... I'm back. Just spent the whole of last night tweaking this blog the way I like. (With expert advice from a dear cousin of course. Owe her one.)

The Past.

I titled this because I'd like to keep track of my own history on the mobile phone madness. Call it a walk down memory lane if you like. I remember the 1st time I've EVER owned a mobile. Sure there were first encounters with the Startacs of Motorola in their pre-GSM days, and the oddities of the nokia banana phones.... but it was way back in 1997, in the good ol'uni days in the UK.... the Ericsson T28, a small blue cracker of a phone which I thought was not only cool but made me feel "I'd keep this forever". Boy was I wrong.

Shortly after that, the onslaught of technology with SMS texting had been introduced into the public. It was a small unnecessary add-on from the network I thought, "It'll never catch on" I thought... boy, was I wrong again.

A year later, I decided to "upgrade" my mobile (this must be when the madness began!) The year was 1998. At that time, all my buddies were using Nokia 6110's. A very beautiful phone, now looking back. I decided to be the odd one, and went for a Sony phone. I can't even remember the model, but it had a lil'stick that flipped out for phone calls. So cool. It looked like a small walkie talkie actually. Well, that was my faithful sidekick for almost 2 years.

Returning back home in 2000, my Sony began looking a bit dated and boring, and it was timely too, Nokia had released their newly redesigned series... the Nokia 3210. Almost EVERYONE owned one back then. I knew I HAD to own one too. $630 I remember buying for. Crazy. But it was the phone to be seen with! Everyone else used boring ericsson T-series and the cool ones used 3210's.

Needless to say, since then, i've owned, in this order:-
1. Nokia 8210
2. Nokia 8310
3. Nokia 6510
4. Nokia 3310 (beats me why I went backwards...)
5. Nokia 3330
6. Nokia 5210
7. Nokia 6210
8. Nokia 8850
9. Nokia 6610
10. Nokia 7650
11. Nokia 6600
12. Nokia 3530
13. Nokia 3510
14. Nokia 3120
15. Nokia 7610
16. Nokia 7200
17. Nokia 9500 Communicator
18. Palm Treo 650 (The longest ever... "almost" a year)
19. Nokia 6681
20. Sony Ericsson k750 (Arguably one of the best cam phones in the market still)
21. Sony Ericsson w800i
22. Nokia n80
23. Nokia E61
24. Sony Ericsson w810i
25. Nokia 6230 (a temp phone I'm using now)
26. ???

You knw, looking back at this, over a span of 6 years now... thats alot of phones...
Geez! I need to stop a while and take stock of this....

*3 sec pause*

Ok, thats enough.

I've tried and tested each one of these models, from monophonic black & white models of the iconic Nokia 3210 to polyphonic Nokia 3530 to mp3/wav enabled Nokia 7650 to the full spec'd wonders of 3 megapixel smartphones like n80.... then the awesome Sony Ericsson series and even the ultimate smartphone (I still believe), the Treo 650.....
Its crazy I know, some would say foolish even.... no one understands really.....

But, personally, I've come to a conclusion. Its a human thing. The constant thirst for more. The drive for something better. I'm not proud of it, but I'm not going to be defensive either.
Call it a problem, call it an obsession, call it a hobby.... whatever.
But in the end, what I have gained is the knowledge and experience of knowing everything there is to know about these devices. Honestly, I feel that its all part of a preparation stage to something bigger for me.

That day will come....

With this in mind.... I end my 2nd blog.... more thoughts later.

No comments: