Saturday, September 23, 2006

"Not everyone...."

I know, I know... I've been silent for a few days.... there's a reason.
I've been somewhat occupied, and captivated by....

My new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My........... PRECIOUS......

*drum roll pls.... *

The NOKIA 8800 TITANIUM SPECIAL EDITION!










(Ok, I'm not the best photographer in the world, and for these pics, I used a SE w810i to try snap it rather than my digicam. So this will do for now until I run a proper review)

I have been waiting (im)patiently for this for the past 2 weeks. A good friend of mine had managed to source this from Singapore at a very very good deal. Its just ONE DAY old. I just COULDN'T resist. And being a special edition, that was the icing on the cake. (Although, having said that, I ALMOST went for the newly launched Sirocco edition too! Decided to get this instead)(Also, big price difference)

You may ask, what's the big deal about this phone? "So what, its just a flashy nokia. Nothing great about features, better phones out there" etc.
I liken it to buying a watch. Like buying a Tag Heuer or a Swatch watch. Both do the same thing, both tell time, both are swiss too! Ahh, but the difference between wearing a Tag or a Swatch is just worlds apart. You would KNOW you're wearing a quality product and you would KNOW not everyone around uses the same watch too...... Its called exclusivity.

Not everyone wears a Tag remember.

Its the same reason why I got my PRECIOUS. I have been eyeing this model for SO long, ever since its worldwide debut, always drooling, ooh-ing and aah-ing over it. But back then, its launch price was simply insane! It had been so unattainable... until now.

It arrived in the country on Wed midnight, and as my friend who brought it back for me stays nearby (a minute away), you can imagine where I was shortly after that! Good thing my buddy understands my phone craze, even called me up to tell me its arrived.
Drove back, brought it upstairs, saw the box beautiful box (what a sight!), carefully examined each item in the box, simply in awe of the amazing condition. (Well, it IS a day old!) Apparently, the owner bought it, realised it wasn't for him, and wanted to sell. Luckily for him, I came along then. (Needless to say, I heard he later went for a Nokia N93 instead)

To get right to the point, after about 2 days use so far, I'm just loving it. As you might expect, its constantly living in the suede pouch that comes along with the set. Every so often, I find myself just taking it out, looking at it, playing with the menus, familiarizing myself with it.

I'm happy. No regrets.


Things I like about it so far: -
  • The heavy "thunk" sound it makes while opening and closing, which is similar to opening and closing a zippo lighter, but heavier sounding.
  • The "special edition" engravement on the back.
  • The screen resolution... which makes the phone an absolute joy to use....
ok, ok, I won't go into any further details, just wait for my personal review on it soon, with photos. But, so far, alot of people are impressed. For some, its the first time being able to hold a Nokia 8800 in their hands, for others, the look on their faces when the phone rings.... Priceless.

But, as expected, I've faced opposition. Some friends don't think I'll last long with it. Some even giving me 3 weeks with it, till I sell it off. They just don't understand... THIS TIME, I told em, THIS one's a keeper, just you wait and see. NO ONE just sells off a Nokia 8800, and especially NOT the special edition version.... NO....... ONE....

3 comments:

Chester said...

Sweeeet. I know what you mean about exclusivity. I feel the same way about my 6234. Not everyone has one since it's Vodafone-exclusive hehe.

Anonymous said...

i understand... its been a while since nokia has come up with a LIMITED EDITION phone :)

Anonymous said...

3 weeks..well, whenever you're ready to sell it, just call me.