Sunday, November 26, 2006

You think you're fast?

Reading the papers today, I came across an article titled "Which is the most SMS-friendly phone?".

It was an article based on a research done in Singapore. Using models from the top 5 market leaders, (not in order of ranking mind you) Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola and LG, a panel of 5 testers were used, each familiar with the text messaging interface of one phone brand. (Which is fair). They had to type in a message used from the recent new Guiness World record (incidentally, won by a 16 yr old Singaporean chap), "The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human." Given 15 mins to "practice", the first with predictive text on, then another off, none of them came even close to the world record of 41.52 seconds. (Other factors that make SMS-ing a pleasure like softness of the keypad etc, was also noted)

Here are the models:

1. Nokia 6288.
Text time: T9 off: 1 min 59 secs. T9 on: 1 min 19 secs.









2. Motorola KRZR K1
Text time: T9 off: 2 mins 33 secs. T9 on: 2 mins 44 secs










3. Sony Ericsson k610i
Text time: T9 off: 2 mins 54 secs. T9 on: 1 min 9 secs










4. LG KG810
Text time: T9 off: 3 mins 2 secs. T9 on: 2 mins 25 secs.







5. Samsung SGH D900
Text time: T9 off: 2 mins 26 secs. T9 on: 1 min 8 secs.








There were other details included in the article which I won't mention like what's good about their respective predictive text "systems" like T9 in Nokia, iTap in Motorola etc. But its clear here who the real winner is, the Nokia 6288.

Just for fun though, I thought to myself, I wonder what my time would be if I were to test my Treo 750v against this challenge.

So, here's what I did: -
- I gave myself time to familiarise myself with the sentence. (C'mon, its not exactly language you'd use in your daily vocabulary right?!) I didn't need 15 mins though, probably 2-3 mins?
- With my prepared stop watch in front of me, I gave myself 3 tries to see what my average / best time would be.
- The results - 1st try: 45 secs, 2nd try: 44 secs and 3rd try: 43 secs.

Yup, I arrived at a conclusion that if I had more tries, I would eventually lower my time, but still, it wouldn't be enough to beat the 16 yr old with his 41.52 secs record. But then again, HE wasn't using a QWERTY keyboard was he? That sure earns my respect though.

1 comment:

Epoxy Flooring East Norwalk said...

Very nice bblog you have here